Tuesday, September 18

cap-stone project & problems with free travel

yesterday Kugler was passing around a sign up sheet so he could talk to us about our cap-stone projects and I, being the intelligent and clever individual that I am, took the first stop so that I could have my choice out of the way because I figured a bunch of people would want this topic. I have been really fascinated with the Greek Orthodox Church here because of all the weird little rituals and traditions that they have. like i mentioned in my post about Delphi, all these weird traditions are still around that have roots in the Greek pantheon as well as other polytheistic religions. for example people don't like it when you pose next to ancient artifacts because it angers the gods.... I thought Greeks were monotheistic? there are lots of little instances like this though and I want to know if they are aware of the origins and why these traditions are perpetuated.

recently, an email was forwarded to us by the college putting a stop to many of the destinations that people were going to be traveling to for their week of free travel. initially, I was planning to spend the week in Santerini, but decided that it was too expensive and would be better served as a weekend trip. Clariece, Chris and I were then planning to make a tour of a few cities in Eastern Europe- namely: Istanbul, Bucharest, and Budapest. we are still peeved about this, especially because we had just talked to Kugler that day and he gave us the go ahead. apparently their logic is that this is a general culture trip and that travel should be limited to Greece and Turkey. however, if this is true why is travel to Italy limited? some of the best archaeological evidence of ancient civilizations is found in Rome and its surrounding areas.

now we have to figure out where we'll be going. poor larry (the head of the overseas department). he's going to be receiving many emails with complaints.

p.s. if anyone has any recipes WITH NO CHEESE please email them to me. i need a new menu.

1 comment:

alex Boies said...

Very cool! Although I've been dying to go to Turkey because I hear it is so beautiful. When you're back onto cheese, let me know, and I'll send you a killer macaroni and cheese recipe that my mom concocted.
Have a super day Mats! xo, a