Tuesday, November 13

Cretan Travels - free travel part II

I forgot to mention one part of my travels in turkey- topkapi palace. It used to be the sultan’s palace. It was amazing. There was gold and engravings and extravagance everywhere we looked. There were two treasuries with rubies and emeralds the size of a fist, a weapons’ room, and a kitchen with pots big enough to act as a bath tub.

On the morning of the 30th we got up really early (6ish) to catch a taxi so we could take the ferry to some nothing town to catch the bus to Ayvalik so we could take a ferry to Mytillini so we could take a cab to Hotel Votsala where we’d been living on Lesvos. We spent two days on Lesvos and left the afternoon of our second day. We got onto this tiny plane and spent about an hour flying to Heraklion in Crete. Poor Mel, she hates flying and none of us were sitting next to each other so she couldn’t hold anyone’s hand easily, however I was sitting in front of her so I stuck my hand back there so she could hold it during take off and landing.

We spent our first day on Crete just wandering around the central square looking at shops. Out first dinner was really good. We just a bunch of appetizers and split them between the four of us. Then the owner gave us a little small piece of cake and some raki which is like Turkish ouzo but sweeter. Our second day in Crete, we visited the Minoan palace of Knossos. It was amazing but very hot. We did, however, get in for free because of our Demikes cards that say we’re Greek students. Afterwards we caught a bus to the “largest aquarium in the east Aegean sea”. It was really cool. They had sharks, sting rays, and tons of fish. I think my favorite part was the tank of just jellyfish because they were all lit up. I’ll put pictures up when I have the time. On our third day, Mel left in the morning and then the three of us split up. Clariece and Chris left to go wander and left me to my own devices. It was okay. I went shopping and found Dad and Jeff Christmas presents. I also spent a couple hours in an internet café just surfing around and even watched a few episodes of some TV shows. I called a few friends and my parents. It was nice to just sit down and talk to some people from home. I also read quite a bit of one of my psych books- the one about the paranormal research. We met up later that night to eat and then take a cab to the airport. Then we flew on this smallish plane and got back to Athens within 45 minutes. I then took a cab back to my apartment while Chris and Clariece took the subway because they had fewer bags. it was nice to spend a night back in my own bed.

No comments: